Wednesday, August 19, 2026

A Mermazing Birthday Card with Polkadoodle Digi Chooseday Challenge

 Hi there friends! Today I am sharing this mermaid easel card made for the new Digi ChooseDay Challenge with Polkadoodles.

Don’t forget to join the Digi Choosday Anything Goes challenge over at Polkadoodles - we’d love to see what you create! You can use my coupon code for 10% off: PAULAPORTELLI at: Polkadoodles 


 

The design team was prompted to use a fantasy theme and I really wanted a mermaid. I always think of bright colors and a lot of sparkle with mermaids and I love it all! I made an easel card using a mermaid digital design with printable papers and sentiments to make a birthday card any mermaid lover will adore. I added texture and sparkle with a chunky embossing powder and sequins in various colors.

General Supplies:

  • Digital designs (see supply list below) 
  • White cardstock for printing
  • A2 top folding card base
  • alcohol makers
  • sequins or gems
  • liquid adhesive
  • foam adhesive
  • corner rounder or scissors 
  • brown embossing powder (I used Stampendous Chunky Metallic Seasonings. One that looks like sand in a similar color that you color the rocks will work.)
  • heat gun for embossing
  • embossing ink, dauber is easiest 
  • electronic cutting machine and software

 Please note: I use Silhouette Studio with a Silhouette Cameo. My instruction may include names of features found in Silhouette Studio but should work on the software you use. You can change design elements as you please and this will work on other brands of electronic cutters. My specific supply list is at the bottom including the links to the design files used.

 Instruction

  1. Download and unzip the digital files. 
  2. Fold the top flap of the A2 card base inward at the halfway mark, 2.75 inches.
  3. In the design software for your machine, draw a rectangle 4 x 5.25 inches. Fill this with a wave pattern from the digital files.
  4. Draw a rectangle 4.25 x 5.5 inches and fill it with a coral pattern from the digital files. 
  5. Bring in the mermaid file and size it to fit the width and height of the rectangle drawn in step 4.
  6. Using the print and cut feature print the rectangles and mermaid and cut it with the cutting machine.

  7. Print the full page of sentiments from the sentiment file. 
  8. Color the mermaid design with alcohol markers. I used Ohuhu markers - colors used: B21, B27, B28, E66, E612, G012, G210, R013, R16, RV08, RV35, RV111, RV314, Y14, Y27, YR00, YR06, YR33, YR34

  9. Fold the coral patterned rectangle in half to match the fold in the card base. Adhere it to the card base.
  10. Adhere the colored mermaid to only the bottom part of the front of the card base. She should fit but I scooted mine up and will use a bigger envelope for the finished card.

  11. Using embossing ink and powder to cover the edge of the mermaid design to the card. This is really optional but I wanted to add some texture and sort of hide it. It was NOT perfect and the sentiment is later put over a part I wasn't excited with the results.

  12. Cut out an outside and inside sentiment.
  13. Use scissors or a corner rounder to round the corners. Add color with alcohol markers.
  14. Adhere the wave patterned rectangle to the inside of the card. 

  15. Using adhesive foam add the sentiments. It is important to use adhesive foam for the inside greeting as it is used to hold the card in the easel position.  

  16. Add sequins to the front and inside of the card for extra sparkle. 


 ~Paula
If you’d like, please follow me:
Please follow this blog, you can find the Follow button in the right column ===> 
Facebook: Paula's Studio
Instagram: PaulasStudioMI 

Please Note: I am a big advocate of using supplies you already own but I understand that readers might be interested in specific products that they might not already own. This post contains product links so you can easily find any supplies and/or tools you may be interested in. As an affiliate, I may be compensated for a purchase made using my links. However, no additional cost is extended to you. The other links are just to help guide you in the right direction. I am not affiliated with all companies but I encourage you to shop small businesses as much as possible. I may even include eBay listings for products that are available there at the time this is posted. I only share product information of products I am familiar with and use in my own studio. Papers are just from my collection. I always grab from my scraps first and I don’t keep track of where they came from. Use what you have!

No comments:

Post a Comment